Super bowl parties are a time honored tradition at our house, but as a life long Chiefs fan, we were never lucky enough to watch our team in the big game, until last year. What a whirlwind that game was! Chiefs kingdom is excited for another appearance and the chance to #RunItBack. We know Brady and the bucs are not an easy opponent, but I'm confident in our team, and excited for the game!
Let's be real, we all know the snacks and commercials are what keep us going when our team isn't playing. This Jalapeño popper cheeseball from smalltownwoman.com is one of our all time favorite appetizers!
Jalapeño Popper cheese ball
(This recipe easily makes two decent sized cheeseballs)
This cheeseball is SO GOOD, but remember to make it a day early!
Party worthy cheese ball filled with all of your favorite jalapeno popper flavors like crispy smoked bacon, zesty minced jalapenos, sharp cheddar, smooth cream cheese and sweet green onions
- Total Time: 15 minutes plus 24 hours chilling time
- Yield: 2 cheeseballs
- 2 boxes (8 ounces) cream cheese slightly softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (reserve ½ cup)
- 10 slices crispy cooked bacon chopped (reserve half)
- 2 jalapenos minced (reserve half)
- ½ cup chopped green onions (reserve half)
- Using a stand or hand mixer on medium speed beat your cream cheese, sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper until smooth and creamy. Turn to low and mix in 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, half of the chopped bacon, half of the minced jalapeno, and half of the chopped green onions. Combine your reserved cheddar, bacon, jalapenos and green onions in a small zipper storage bag and store in the refrigerator.
- Lay out a large piece of plastic wrap on a counter top. Spoon the cheese into a ball shape and bring up the sides of the plastic wrap to cover the cheese ball. Utilize the wrapping process to help shape the cheese into a ball. Refrigerate the cheese ball overnight.
- Remove the cheese ball about 20 minutes prior to serving. Spread your reserved cheddar, bacon, jalapenos and green onions on a cutting board or large plate. Unwrap the ball and roll in the reserved toppings.
- Plan ahead and slightly soften your cream cheese. You want it soft enough to blend but not so soft that it is difficult to form your cheese ball.
- Use good quality cheddar cheese and grate it yourself. It has much better flavor than the pre-shredded cheese.
- Remove the stems, seeds and veins from your jalapeno using plastic gloves. Or at the very least being careful not to touch your eyes and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
- Be sure to read my section on picking mild jalapenos.
- Make at least one day in advance. This allows enough time for it to really firm up.
- If your cheese ball is difficult to shape try again after several hours of refrigeration and mold it while it is wrapped up.
- For best results remove the cheese ball 20 minutes prior to serving and roll in the reserved topping.
10/10 would recommend. What are some of your favorite appetizers or snacks? Bonus points if you post the recipe!